Preventing Cheating on Tests
GeorgiaVIEW has several built-in functions which can help ensure greater academic honesty on your course quizzes. Below are some steps you can take to reduce cheating:
Create a Random Quiz Section:
Create random sections in quizzes to distribute a unique set of questions to individual users. Random sections pull questions from a designated pool of questions stored in the Question Library. Specify how many questions users receive from the random section question pool after you import questions from the Question Library into the random section folder.
Since you can only access random sections within quizzes, you must create a quiz before you can create its random sections. You can import an infinite number of questions from the Question Library into each random section, but you cannot create new questions within random section folders.
Add questions to Question Library
The Question Library allows you to add questions manually or you can import questions into the Question Library using quiz importing tools.
Create a random section in a quiz
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click on the quiz you want to add a random section to.
- Click Add/Edit Questions in the Properties tab.
- Click New, then select Random Section.
- Enter a Section Name.
- Click Save.
- Click on the random section you just created.
- Click Import.
- In the Source Section drop-down list, choose the Collection Root or a specific section where existing questions reside.
- Select the questions you want to import, click Save.
- Enter the Questions per attempt you want each user to see from the random section.
- Enter the points value for each question in the Points each field.
Randomize Quiz Answers:
Question answers can be randomized so that the answer order for each student will be different. To randomize quiz answers, simply select the checkbox “Randomize options” in the individual question editor.
Limit Quiz Time:
Another method to prevent cheating is to limit the time of the quiz so students do not have time to cheat. You can adjust the quiz time limit by editing the quiz and going to Restrictions.
Under Timing, you can adjust a number of settings to limit the time available for the quiz.
For written assignments, you can enable Turnitin in order to check for plagiarism. View the Turnitin help page for more details.