What happens if I miss the April 1st deadline to submit my FAFSA? Is it too late for me to apply?

Missing Bainbridge State College’s deadlines for submitting your financial aid information could result in difficulty having your aid in place for the fall semester in preparation for your attendance.

But NO!, it is not too late for you to file your FAFSA application. You should complete your FAFSA as soon as possible. You may still attend BSC, but you will need to make payment arrangements until your aid can be finalized. The Financial Aid Office will apply funding for which you are eligible retroactively to your account.

What is the EFC, and how is it used in determining my financial aid?

The US Department of Education, which processes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) by analyzing the income and asset data reported on your FAFSA. The EFC represents the amount of money you and your family are expected to contribute toward educational expenses for the academic year before you can be considered for need-based aid. Do not mistake your EFC with your out of pocket expense; the amount you actually pay may differ.

For example, if your FAFSA has an EFC of zero, that does not necessarily mean you will have no out of pocket expenses for your educational costs. It means that you are eligible to receive the maximum amount of need-based financial aid for which you qualify without your family having to contribute to the cost of attendance first. If you have an EFC of 1000, then your family would be expected to contribute $1000 to your cost of attendance before your need based financial aid eligibility could be determined.

The EFC does not necessarily have to be paid directly by you and your family; it can be satisfied through student loan programs.

If I am selected for verification, how do I get my income tax transcript?

You may obtain your transcript by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or by visiting http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript.

How are my loan funds disbursed to me?

You loan money is paid in two payments per semester and paid to you by BSC either in a check or on your BSC Discover Card.

If I change my mind about accepting the loan after signing the Master Promissory Note and completing the loan application, can the loan be canceled?

Yes. You may cancel all or a portion of your loan by informing Bainbridge State College of your desire to do so within a specific time period. If you have received your loan funds directly by check, you may refuse the funds by returning the check to Bainbridge State College.

When am I required to begin repayment of my loans?

For the Federal Stafford Loan, there is a grace period of 6 months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half time enrollment (less than 6 credits for undergrad and less than 3 for grad).

What is the Bainbridge State College school code?

The Bainbridge State College school code is 011074.

What is the fax number?

The Office of Financial Aid fax number is 229.248.2848

What is verification?

Verification is a part of the Federal Student Aid Programs requirements-34 CFR 668.56.

Verification uses documentation to confirm that the information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is correct. The federal government requires colleges and universities to verify, or confirm, the data reported by students and their parent(s) on the FAFSA. The verification process ensures that eligible students receive all the federal financial aid to which they are entitled and prevents ineligible students from receiving financial aid for which they do not qualify. The items being reviewed include:

  • Household size
  • Number in College
  • Adjusted Gross Income
  • Untaxed Income
  • Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program Benefits (often called Food Stamps)

The main reasons for being selected for verification include that you were chosen randomly, the FAFSA you submitted was incomplete, your FAFSA contains estimated information, or the data you provided on the FAFSA is inconsistent. Verification is a federal regulation; if you are selected for verification, you must comply with all requests for documentation from the financial aid office. Failure to comply will result in termination of your financial aid eligibility.

How long will the verification process take?

Keep in mind that during our peak processing times, verification can take up to 3-5 weeks to be completed once all documentation has been submitted. If you are selected for verification, it would be in your best interest to start the process as soon as possible.

I don’t live with my parents; can I be considered independent for FAFSA?

The FAFSA looks at other criteria to determine if you are independent of your parents.  You have to be able to answer “yes” to one of the questions below to be considered independent:

  • Will you turn 24 this current year?
  • Are you working on a Masters or Doctorate?
  • Are you married?
  • Do you have children or dependents that you support?
  • Are you a U.S veteran?
  • Are you or were you an orphan or ward of the court?
  • As of today, are you an emancipated minor?
  • As of today, are you in legal guardianship?
  • At any time  has it been determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?

If the answer is “no” to all of these questions then the parents MUST fill out the FAFSA form with the student.  If the student can answer yes to one or more of these questions then the parents do not have to fill out the form.  NOTE:  If you select “yes” to one of the above questions, the Financial Aid Office may verify this information.

What happens to my financial aid if I drop a class or withdraw completely from school?

Withdrawing from all classes or dropping a class at any point after the drop/add period will negatively impact your completion rate and possibly affect your eligibility for future aid. Additionally, if you withdraw from all courses during the semester, you may be required to return some of your financial aid.

What is the difference between a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan?

After you apply for aid, you may be offered either a subsidized or unsubsidized loan, or a combination of both. The primary difference between the two is the interest rate and when the interest begins to accrue.

  • Subsidized Loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. You will not be charged any interest while the loan is in deferment status, such as while you are enrolled, as the federal government subsidizes or pays the interest.
  • Unsubsidized Loans charge interest from the time the money is first disbursed until it is paid in full. The interest is capitalized, meaning that you pay interest on any interest that has already accrued. One way to minimize how much interest accrues is to pay the interest as it accumulates.

Only undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need are eligible for Subsidized Loans. Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students. We use federal regulations to determine the amounts each student may borrow by considering the cost of attendance and other financial aid.

To learn more about Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, visit the Department of Education’s Direct Loan comparison website.

Why am I considered not to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) when I have no failing grades? I was advised to withdraw from the class rather than receive a low grade.

Even though withdrawing from a class may help your GPA, the SAP Policy considers hours dropped with a “W” as attempted. You must complete 67% of the classes you attempt to be meeting the progression portion of the SAP Policy.

What happens if I repeat a course?

In general, financial aid will pay for you to take a course twice.  If you pass the course with a grade of a D or higher, financial aid will only pay for you to retake the course one additional time.  If you have never passed the course, financial aid will continue pay for you to take the course again (meaning that you failed the course or withdrew from the course).  If you are retaking a course for the third time after successfully completing the course (a grade of D or higher) previously, those hours will not count for financial aid purposes.  This means that if you are only enrolled in 6 semester hours and one course is not counting because you have repeated it, your financial aid will be calculated on being enrolled in 3 semester hours.  The repeat coursework rules only apply to undergraduate students. Repeating a course can also impact our Satisfactory Academic Progress status (SAP).  All grades count for SAP and all hours attempted and earned count as well. PLEASE NOTE:  If you have questions regarding your courses and repeat coursework, please contact your Bainbridge State College financial aid counselor.  The rules for repeat coursework are quite complex and your individual situation will need to be reviewed.

What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

A drop is when the course is dropped from your schedule during the drop/add period.  You won’t receive any financial aid for the class and it doesn’t show up on your transcript.

A withdrawal occurs when you withdraw from a class by completing the withdrawal form or your teacher initiates a withdrawal on your behalf after you violate the attendance policy for their class.  A withdrawal shows up on your transcript as a W or WF (WF after the last day to withdraw without academic penalty).  Financial aid is paid for classes from which you withdraw (unless you withdraw and drop below 6 hours before your loan is disbursed) and they do count as attempted hours.

What is the difference between disbursed and refunded?

Disbursed funds have been paid to your student account in Banner.  The funds have been applied to any balance due you may owe and have been requested from the Department of Education or Georgia Student Finance.

A refund means the funds have been sent to the student either as a check or posted to the student’s ID card.  Refunds are generally sent out 14 days after the funds are disbursed to the student account in Banner.  The Business Office sends refunds out every 2 weeks for the entire semester.


Share This


Fall 2018 classes begin August 15! Ask about our new program offerings. Click here for a list of programs. APPLY NOW!