Hank Day, BSC alumnus and GBI agent, takes great pride in education—and encourages others to take advantage of managing their career goals.

Education is the key to success—and one Bainbridge State alumnus can attest to the old saying.

Hank Day, 31, of Bainbridge enrolled at Bainbridge College after high school. He began his journey to a success by earning a two-year degree in Marketing and Management.

While taking classes and working with Bainbridge Public Safety, he developed a love for law enforcement—and it ultimately led him to furthering his education at Bainbridge State. In 2010, Hank earned an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice.

The student began submerging himself into the study of police subculture.

“The further you get into education, you begin to understand more than what you see on television,” said Hank. “When I began really learning and digging deeper into the theology and philosophy of criminal justice I became even more interested. It’s all very interesting—and I wouldn’t have known any of these things if it had not been for Bainbridge State College.”

While at work, he began noticing things in the field that he learned in the classroom.

He said, “It wasn’t just about reading the textbook because I had to. I was actually learning the skills I needed to be successful in my career choice. I began seeing things at work that I heard about in the classroom or I had read about. It was then I knew I was really learning it—and saw it applied in my work. Classroom lectures and reading the textbooks are not just busy work. It will benefit you.”

Beginning at Bainbridge State helped lead the way to Hank obtaining a bachelor’s degree through courses with Valdosta State University and the University of Georgia online. During this time, he even took classes on the BSC campus. Over 21-hours class loads and shifts with Bainbridge Public Safety—Hank continued to move forward because he knew his education was his—and it would led him to success.

Hank decided to apply for a position with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI). There were over 500 applicants who applied for the position—and Hank was one of the 14 chosen for hire.

He will be stationed in Thomasville where he will serve Brooks, Colquitt, Decatur, Echols, Grady, Lowndes, Miller, Mitchell, Seminole and Thomas Counties.

Today, Hank owes much of his success to the education he received at BSC.

He said, “I encourage anyone wanting to go into law enforcement to enroll in the Criminal Justice program at Bainbridge State. Start at Bainbridge. It provides a great intro to anything you want to do. Also, think about business degrees. Employers look for diverse skills. Where education is concerned: Don’t limit yourself.”

Share This