Betina Tripp marches during the commencement ceremony held Saturday, May 2.

One Bainbridge State College student had made history by becoming the first BSC student to complete all requirements for a new medical coding program—along with having the highest score in the course.

Betina Tripp of Attapulgus is the first BSC student to complete all the requirements for the Medical Administrative Technology and Health Information Technology program’s newest course—which provides medical coding experience in collaboration with American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC). She completed the program with an average score of 97.

When Tripp first started the program she was nervous and did not know what to expect. She found herself being frustrated and wanted to give up—but with the help and support of her instructor, she discovered her love for coding.

“When I first started the program, I was so nervous and become frustrated. I even thought about quitting—but my instructor, Ms. Tatyana Pashnyak, gave me advice and it really helped me. From then on, I chose to stick with it and eventually I got better and better at coding,” said Tripp.

As she continued with the program, Tripp found that coding was the profession for her.

“I quickly found out that coding was for me and that’s when I began to get my career goals together,” she said. “I plan to go to the next level of coding with the help of Ms. Pashnyak. I want my kids to see I can do it, so they will be inspired to pursue their dreams. The younger generation needs to know anything is possible.”

Tripp’s accomplishment has not gone unnoticed. Recently, she accepted a medical coder position at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and she is also studying for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam.

During the fall 2014 semester, BSC offered the coding program, which allows students to earn one year of professional medical coding experience. The course has been developed in collaboration with American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC) and utilizes Practicode, the cutting edge virtual medical coding simulation platform that uses redacted medical records.

It provides students with an authentic learning experience. The intensive course consists of three modules (600 cases) and three assessments; however, students who complete all requirements with a 70 percent or better will earn one year of medical coding experience.

“The goal of both Medical Administrative Technology and Health Information Technology programs at Bainbridge State is not only to equip students with relevant skills and knowledge, but also help our graduates with launching their careers in healthcare,” explained Tatyana Pashnyak, Associate Professor of Medical Administrative & Health Information Technology.

“New graduates often struggle with finding a job in the field because most healthcare positions require at least some experience. That’s why we are so excited about providing our students with an opportunity to earn one year of medical coding experience, especially since this experience is certified by AAPC.”

For more information on Medical Administrative & Health Information Technology programs at Bainbridge State, contact Tatyana Pashnyak at (229) 243-4259 or Rich Messersmith at (229) 243-3022.

Share This

X

For more information regarding consolidation, please visit our Consolidation page.

¤